Monday, July 23, 2007

From "Exclusive" To "Mixed"

21st July 2007. This is the date when Aliff got it's first taste of formula milk.

I'm sad. But I can't help it.

Here's the story...

Referring to my last post, alhamdulillah, on the same day itself, Ashraff has stopped vomitting and on Friday, he has regained his energy. His appetite is still so-so, but I think it's more of him and his usual of-and-on mood on eating.

But bila anak dah sihat...

Ibu pulak sakit.

I was down with quite a severe food poisoning, both vomitting and diarrhea. It started on Thursday night, like in the middle of the night and continued till Friday. I was weak and flat the whole day, and Aliff (and Ashraff) was left in the care of Bibik. Aliff has to depend entirely on the leftover EBM stock in the fridge, coz I am too weak to even breastfeed him directly. Only at night, he sleeps with me and that was the only time he got to breastfeed directly (itupun hanya sekali je dia bangun).

By the time Saturday came, I had lost quite a lot of body fluid, and I haven't eaten well (jenis kalau makan je, keluar balik semua), so my milk supply was badly affected. Aliff was furious caused he couldn't get his normal supply of milk. We've run out of stock at that time. Everything is in vain and our only choice is to supplement him with formula. He couldn't accept it at first. But because he was too hungry for milk, he walloped the whole bottle.

I don't know why but at that point of time, I don't feel sad at all. Maybe I was too weak to even think properly.

Then, Aliff started to pass watery stools few times in a day. And Ibu was panicky. And tired as well, coz lepas satu, satu kena penyakit yang sama. Probably he's allergic to the formula that we've given him as he has diaper rash as well.

So, not waiting to let the problem continues, I ate whatever I can despite my bad appetite and took lots of drinks, in hope that I would be able to feed Aliff directly and build-up my stock as well. But as of yesterday night, my supply still does not suffice. Aliff was hungry so he tend to 'bergayut' and I couldn't put him down to sleep. Pukul 2 pagi barulah dia tidur peacefully. Terasa macam dalam pantang pulak semalam. Oh, you don't know how I feel last night...It was teribble! Frustrated, sad, pity, incomplete..semua ada.

And today since I'm working, he has to be supplemented by the same formula. Ahhh...sedih. So far, report from home said that Aliff is doing fine with the formula. But I want Aliff to be back on his fully-breastfeeding mode. Been reading on 'relactation' subject. Not an easy task. Lot of hard work, but I really hope I would be able to do it.

Oh yeah, another thing that I hate from having to go through all these occurrences is that I've lost almost 3 kilos in just 3 days time. Am I on crash diet or something?! I really need to gain back my weight. I look like a school girl, okay. Tak suka!

11 comments:

ummu_naqeebah said...

mmm, sedihnya, tapi tulah once anak dah start formula, susu kita plak dah le makin kurang, pernah dulu hanis refuse susu saya, then kounselor lakstasi syor untuk ambik cuti, then ok la balik....i faham betapa sedihnya tengok anak minum formula setelah kita berhempas pulas utk fully breastfeed... moga u berjaya back to normal!!!!

Anonymous said...

yes, one of cara nak relactate is to take few days off from work and bf directly. If not, memang la susah. that is also how to nyusu anak angkat. good luck!

hudhud

Amy said...

Get well soon! Take care

MDR said...

oh this is so sad..I sooo feel for u..During my daughter's first six months, I was so determined to breastfeed exclusively that I kept worrying about milk supply and regarded formula as some sort of 'poison'...

looking back though, come to think of it, I was kinda too hard on myself...We can only do our best as mothers dgn niat yg baik dan ikhlas, but sometimes we do have to go with the flow..so don't be too hard on yourself, ok..

However, your determination to keep on going definitely deserves a salute! Keep up the effort and all the best to u...

hope both Aliff n his mommy are much better now... :-D

Fahidayati Ramli said...

Feel sad for u Ija. Hopefully everything will be back to normal life asap.

P/s : Aliff minum susu formula apa?

Jungle Playland said...

How i wish i lost 3 kg dat fast tapi in a proper way... heheh

Are you ok now... Salutelaa u managed to bf Aliff exclusively until now. Nanti tell me the secret ok.

Hope you will get better soon.

cikdah said...

feel sorry for you.. you can surf at www.susuibu.com, ada diorg disscuss on cara mengembalikan susu.. one cara dgn minum air sengkuang cina, can boost ur milk supply.. and few others.. all the best!

eiseais said...

respect lah...u managed to bf exclusively. even now, tengah sakit pun, still think of breastfeeding. macam i ni, always pikir...when can i stop, when can i stop. maybe for no3 i'll be more disciplined to bf, insyallah...

Nana said...

ija,

get well soon and hopefully you'll get your supply back!

Anonymous said...

i want tht school-girl look ! i wan i wan

but looking at me now. am waaaayyy out alredi.

hope Aliff getting better soon!

NZ said...

hope u get better soon and boleh increase ur milk supply. try halba, or dried lychee. and lots of rest. kalau stress, lagi susah susu nak keluar nanti.