Friday, July 13, 2007

Family Tragedy

For my birthday last month, I received quite a lot of vouchers - T1mes Bookshop voucher, Le0nard Drake's voucher for free facial (yummy!) and also MPH vouchers.

Except for MPH vouchers, the rest I've fully utilise it. Did a lovely gamma facial...and also shopped at T1mes, Kay Ell C-C. Two books that I bought are these:-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am currently reading the first one - The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I am half way done and like any other good books, it's pretty hard for me to put it down. It is a lovely book written by Kim Edwards (is this the first book she wrote?) about a doctor who found that one of his newborn twins has Down Syndrome and could not accept it. So he gave it away to the care of the nurse-in-charge that night and lied to his wife that their daughter died. The guilt seemed to be haunting him and that somewhat has affect on her relationship with his wife. Her wife, on the other hand, could not accept the fact that her daughter died and felt depressed. She did her best to overcome her feeling, like wanting a new baby, but his husband on the other hand refused to have another one as he's afraid that the baby will turn out to be just like his daughter. The whole situation has slowly eaten up the family institution and torn the family apart.

Yeah, basically the story revolves around guilt and grief, and how in another part of the world, the daughter grew up just fine. Like I say, I haven't finish reading the book (so don't u dare tell me the ending if you have read it..hehe) so I don't know how the family cope with the situation or whether they solve the problem or not.

But what keeps me thinking while reading this book is how a tragedy could affect a good and strong family relationship. What if the girl actually died? Would the same situation happen? I mean, of course, if the girl really died than tak jadik cerita pulak. But yeah, what if that happen? I read somewhere that it took on average of two years for a family to recover from a family tragedy. In the span of two years, anything could happen. You could be mentally affected and never actually recover. You might be a divorcee cause you no longer serve as a functioning wife to your husband so he left you for good. Your kids might be neglected and can grow up to be "sampah masyarakat".

Or otherwise, you could have a stronger family bond. This misfortune ties the bond together. Family member stand up for each other.

I mean, personally I think it all depends on your "kekuatan iman". Of how we accept the qada' and qadar. Of course, it is easier said than done. I'm just praying that nothing bad is going to happen in my family that might affect our relationship...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Akak, nanti bgtau apa jadi psl buku ni kay....

Anonymous said...

i've been reading ur blog since iknew the existance of it...always luv how eloquently n facilely the way u tell the stories. And most important that it is straight from ur heart...I can feel the love that u have for ur sons and family..cant wait for ur next entry...kudosss!!!

Monster Mom said...

sis, when r u coming here???

Jungle Playland said...

I love reading books.. but i just cannot find the time to do it anymore. Resting for me now is watching Astro..*smile*

what is ur secret?

Fahidayati Ramli said...

Sejak dapat AYSH masa utk baca buku dah begitu limited. Dulu boleh abis satu buku satu hari. Sekrg satu buku seminggu pun blum tentu abis.

Apa taknya, bila AYSH tido, mama pun dah tergolek kepenatan. Nak baca pun mata stim jek... itu yg kdg2 sampai kena renew pinjaman kat library.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a book about CIA behind-the-scene story now. Half way through still.. hehe

Anonymous said...

CIA?? Ni laki fiqah ni....aku tau!

mama_fynn said...

Salam,

You r right abt kekuatan iman tu..it guide her on how we react to things that happens in our life.

Hope the best for you...

Take care

rafiqaheliza said...

aisha: InsyaAllah, whenever I got to finish up the book.

jay: Hi jay! Thanks for dropping your comment:) Oh yes, I love my family very much.

monstermom: end of next month, insyaAllah.

aidan's mommy: Oh, I don't have much time to read as well. I only do it will pumping in the office and like extra 30 mins when the kids already fast asleep (itupun kalau I tak tertido skali).

fahida: Oh, u pinjam buku kat library. My God, you still have time to go to the library. I dah lama teringin nak gi. Konon nak jimat duit beli buku, tapi tak dan pun...

anony: Eh, macam kenallah. I tried reading the 1st page, tapi hapah tak faham!

jay: hahaha..sapa lagi...

mamafynn: Thanks. Hope the best for you too...

Anonymous said...

i'm reading p.s i love you - too. hehe. quite depressing in the beginning. i dont quite like it. hehe.