Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Shed them off!!

One day at the surau..

"Rafiqah, just want to ask you something. There's this rumour going around saying that you are pregnant. Betul ke?"

My immediate response was..

"Gemuk sangat ke saya ni?"

Why am I not suprise? It is because that was not the first comment I got regarding my weight lately. Some of the comments I received were:-

"Eh, eh, dah gemuklah you sekarang" - a straightforward one.
"Eh, lama tak jumpa dah berisi sikit ye. Dulu kurus je" - this one is trying to cover line by using words like "berisi", "naik badan" etc.
"Gemuklah kau sejak kawin. Mendadak pulak tu naik!" - this one really 'dropped my water face'. Remark given by a man, in a lift full of other men. Geee!!
"Dah 'berisi' ke?" - asking whether I'm pregnant, which is definitely due to the weight.
"Cantiklah awak sejak dah ada anak ni. Berseri-seri. Kalau dulu muka cengkung, badan pun kurus semacam" - This one I like best! *grinning like kerang busuk*

Yes, I have to admit (eventhough still in a denial stage) that my weight has increased a lot..yes, A LOT after I stopped breastfeeding Ashraff. Previously, my weight was..emmm..let me see, the most was 45 kilos. And I've had a hard time maintaining that weight, as I'm scared I will become thinner and look like cicak kubing. It becomes worsen after the fasting month or after recovering from illnesses like severe coughing (which drains out your energy) or diarrhea. Muka cengkung semacam!

Whenever I look at fashion & beauty magazine, all they talk about is weight loss but seldom touches on how to gain some weight. Do you know the Appeton Weight Gain available at all major pharmacies? I always had the urge to consume those, but my close friend stopped me from doing that as she said it may cause your weight to keep on increasing (something which she learns from other people's experience). I remembered what she told me..

"You kahwin dulu, dapat anak, then tengok whether you still kurus lagi ke tak?"

And my stubborn answer was..

"Tak mungkin! My parent jenis yang kurus and I doubt I can increase any weight"

Yeah right! Look what I've become now!

Now my weight is fifty..errr..ahh! I better not disclosed. But to give you the hint, it is towards the end of '50' scale. Isn't that scary??

If before I try to avoid jumping on the weighing scale because I'm scared that the pointer will move further left from the previous one, now I am scared of the opposite. I do not know what actually happened. My eating habit is just like before. My suspect would be because of a decrease in metabolism rate, probably due to age factor. What am I suppose to do now?

Basically to shed some fats you have to do the following:-
(i) To control calories intake. Have a healthy diet!
(ii) To exercise regularly.

Let me see whether I can do these things:-
(i) Healthy Diet - Currently, I am actively searching the net for the right food to eat. I would not want to skip meals as I don't think my minor gastric problem can tolerate that. Anyone willing to share me some diet menu and tip?

My biggest hurdle would be my high food temptation! You see, I am so used to eating whenever or whatever I want to eat without worrying about my weight. So, it is really hard for me to control my desire to consume favourite foods like fried chicken, nasi beriyani. That's a No-No right?

(ii) Exercise. Yes, but not regularly. I just could not find way to discipline myself when it comes to exercising. I feel like enrolling to any good fitness club where they have this trainer who can give your professional advice. But then, my financial will go haywire and I don't think dearest Hubby will allow that. Then again, would I have the discipline to drag my feet to the fitness club every now and then?

Yeah, I'm still thinking of ways for me to exercise..and discipline myself to exercise.

Don't you think the slimming centres ads in the media is very attractive for someone who has weight problem? For me, yes it is! Especially the one with celebrities like Amy Mastura - losing from xx kilos to xx kilos. Do you think those places are effective?

Guess it is a bit too early for New Year's resolution but I do have few things in mind. One, is definitely to lose some weight. I would not want to look as thin as before but just to reach an ideal weight that I am comfortable with. But what if I am pregnant next year? That will be a different story altogether..

Good luck to me! Any tips and advice are most welcome.

10 comments:

Nana said...

hey, i just saw you last weekend after i think about a year jugak la kan.. and i think you look just the same. takde pun nampak macam you need to lose weight. my weight issue is slightly different from yours, people keep telling me i look so kurus but if only they knew that i can't fit into most of my clothes anymore. heheh..

creativelydesigned said...

i think u can keep on munching whenever u like but choose fruits/veggies instead.

Unknown said...

weiii u ok what......sweeter than before..mana ada gemok sgt, tak nampak pun......diorang saje je tu.i prefer u now than u were before, kurus gilos babe, nampak tulang...

Cherry said...

enjoy the blessing of health while you can - makan le apa pun - asalkan berpatutan :)
gemuk ke kurus ke sederhana ke OK what ! asalkan sihat dan bertenaga !

Unknown said...

i agree with fina.
u look so berseri-seri now compared to school days. ignore what the rest say. keep your chin up dearie

Zetty said...

Those slimming centre ads memang interesting. But I heard so far MarieFrance is the true gem. The fees pun very-the-gem jugak. One will need around RM10K to undergo the regime and the result is almost definite va va voom.

So, kira mcm kena ambik personal loan kat Bank Rakyat or BSN laa nak pegi kurus badan kan kehkehkeh.

-zetty-I-am-not-fat-I-just-senang-hati-

zan said...

hahah...reading your entry made me tergelak...it's like been there, done that..I used to weigh 45kg although my frame size should be 48-52kg. That was before I had Nael, then my weight shoot up. I don't mind at all but org lain yg sibuk hahah...and all the remarks are the same pregnant ker? dulu kurus, skg berisi? tapi tak pernahlah dpt that sarcastic remark from a guy. funny thing is pernah org tanya whether i'm pregnant and i said yes! sebab malu punya pasal LOL. I think during puasa mth, I managed to shed 2kg,so now trying hard to maintain. I hv no time to exercise, hubby busy and i hv no helper. How to exercise in gym if your toddler busy with something else? Actually I'm happy with my weight but what hurts me is other ppl remarks. That motivates me a lot.

Ehh pjgnya...mcm tulis blog..but i did write abt this sometime back. To me as long as you're healthy and can enjoy life, that matter most. Sendiri punya badan maa...

rafiqaheliza said...

Nana: Tgk betul2 tak Nana? You punye weight tu probably due to your thyroid thing.

Furby: that's my prob. I don't quite like vege/fruits. But have to train myself yeah, if I want to shed some fat..

Fina: Eh Pn Fina dah start blog hop dah? Dulu tu takyah citerlah..tulang semata. Skang ni ok sket, tapi tang waistline yg hancur.

Ninuk: Oh yes. I think I have to be like a man lah..Depa tak brapa bother psl weight2 ni..

Izreen: Thanks dear! But I need to reduce the waistline. That's what makes people think I'm preggie kot..

Zetty: Sampai nak kena buat loan sebab nak cantik, tak naklah..Kalau dah taktau nak letak duit kat mana nanti, I can try those slimming centre.

Zan: I don't know bout you, but I suspect my waistline yg almost invisible yg buat org tanya i preggie ke tak. Overall, I like the way I look now cuma nak maintain je susah. salah makan sket, naik lagi..

LindaMunshi said...

Hey Rafiqah...judging by ur recent raya picture..you look like a rail to me.People who says that ur fat has serious eye issues..my advice, anyone says you're fat...you tell them perhaps it's time they consider wearing glasses...old age is definitely catching up on them...hehe ;)

rafiqaheliza said...

Hi Linda! Thanks for dropping by. Thank God I'm going thru comments for my old postings. Or else,I might have overlook on your comment.
That pic? Hey! My face is soooo round in that. In fact, one of my friends yg dah lama tak jumpa cakap I nampak gemuk in that pic. Probably becoz they use to see me cengkung semacam..