Friday, December 16, 2005

"Ibu, No!".."Ashraff, please..."



The sign above signifies Ashraff's motto for the past three days. He is back in his no-mood-to-eat mood, leaving his mother totally devastated! I am so sick worried of his weight, that is for certain. After the drop of 1 kilo due to the Mouth Disease he had earlier, he never actually regain his weight. He is still at 10kg++, which is considered low for toddler his age and for a baby who was born at 3.74kg!

One thing that somesort of ease my mind is that he drinks lots of milk as compared to before. All these while, he has been depending on small bottle (the 4oz bottle) for each milk time. Lately, his consumption has shoot up to 6-7 oz (at one time 9oz) per session. So, I guess he must have substitute the solid with milk. But any mother will freak out to the fact that their child would not have sufficient nutrition from depending on milk ONLY.

It is also pretty hard for me to deal with picky eater like Ashraff, whom will only eat from the ready packed food like Nestle or Gerber. He will puke whenever he takes the home-cooked meal, no matter how we vary the ingredients. After sometime, we sort of acknowledge the fact that cooking for him is just a waste of time (and gas).

Then, a friend of mine told me that maybe he wants to eat like any adults would, coz now he has lots of teeth. And I thought that maybe he is bored of eating the normal Nestle or Gerber products that we gave him - gandum campur soya, gandum campur madu, mixed fruits, beras & ayam etc, as he has been consuming that for the past one year. Perhaps I should try something with a more substance in it.

Here is a recipe that I got from a friend (thanks Ivy!) that I would love to try:-

"You can try making your own chicken nuggets. Blitz some chicken breast (no skin of course) in the food processor, campur with fresh bread crumbs sikit (one piece fresh bread, blitz in the food processor), add an egg yolk, some herbs if you like, a tiny pinch of salt - or not and mix. Then dunk it in egg and breadcrumbs and saute with olive oil"

Sounds yummylicious, aye?!.

I hope my effort to make Ashraff eat is pay-off this time around. Or else, it will be another round of waste-time-and-waste-gas.

Sometimes I wonder, apart from the joy of having children, parenting job also comes with a bag of worries. For the past 16 months, there have been countless time I have to deal with anxiety attack. I told my mother that probably if Ashraff can talk and voice out his feelings, I will stop worrying. My mother's reply was "Tak jugak. Kita hanya akan stop fikir dan risau pasal anak-anak hanya apabila kita dah mati." Guess I have to agree with her...

As for now, Ashraff deary, please eat...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i thot it was your motto.. heh heh heh. btw, madame here would like to 'borrow' the jpeg illustration to post of my fridge. certain areas macam expanding lak..

rafiqaheliza said...

I'm glad if I managed to be like Ashraff but failed to. Good idealah, izreen. I think I would have to turn this into a magnet and post it on my fridge too..

LindaMunshi said...

Don't worry so much about Ashraff not wanting to eat...Sarah went thru it several times before she turned 2 and now...I have to press her tummy to make sure that she's not overeating haha! But probably, you ought to change his menu...By the time Sarah got some sparkly whites...everytime I tried to feed her porridge...she acts as though her mummy is poisining her...so perhaps Ashraff is ready for grownup food after all...good luck and remember, 'this too shall pass'..hehehe.

Nana said...

Different kids ada different perangai kan. Walaupon dia chossy eater, most important he is healthy. *prays and hopes any other kids I have will be as easy as Aliah*

zan said...

i think it's only a phase as i hv the same problem with nael. i remember i even cried once due to frustration. i think maybe you just need to introduce him to a lot more variety of food, maybe he likes finger food, maybe he likes food that has some distinctive taste. I have niece who only eats the nestum n the likes till 1+, the transformation for her to hv adult food took quite awhile. so, dun worry as long as ashraff is healthy, he'll be a happy baby.

rafiqaheliza said...

sarah's mummy: thanks for the reassuring advice. I really hope it will pass..

Nana: Waaahhh..bestnye dapat anak as easy as Aliah. Good on ya! But with anak yang byk kerenah mcm Ashraff, it teaches u to become a creative and adventurous parent. That, I have to thank Ashraff-:)

Zan : u cried out of frustration? Same here! mati akal dah nak buat apa sampai menangis. One day suka finger food, another day tak nak pulak. It is pretty tiring to go thru this trial and error thing. Hope it is just a short phase..

Onde2: I tend to be picky at first jugak sebab like u say, too conscious. But now I'll give him almost anythg just as long as he eats. I think dia dah pernah rasa benda yang ada rasa masin (letak garam), so now he refused to take his plain porridge. Pening kepala jugak dibuatnye!