Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ada Apa Pada Nama?

Ehem...I was tagged by Aliah's mom, so thinking I was quite free this morn, might as well I do it before the work comes rushing in.

REQUIREMENTS : Write about what or how or why you gave the name(s) to your kid(s). QUANTITY: 5 people
TAG MODE: Firstly you leave their blog and post link and add to the list below and secondly you let the blogger you want to tag know that he/she has been tagged by commenting in his/her blog or etc

Before we even have kids (or before I even pregnant), we have discussed on what kind of name to be given to our little angels. We come out with three requirements -
1. The name must have good meaning.
2. The name must blend well internationally.
3. The name must be short. The shorter the better. Only one word will do. And kalau boleh, that word could not be further shorten so much so that we are force to call him with his full name.

Why do we have such requirements?
Requirement no 1 - standard. Semua orang want a good name for their kids.
Requirement no 2 - Sejak kat sekolah lagi I dah bernekad akan bagi an easier name for my kids sebab some people have a hard time pronouncing my name - Rafizah, Rafikuah, Rafi etc. Urgh...I hate it. In Australia, I ended up introducing myself as Eliza coz that's easier to pronounce. Itupun depa pronounce as Elaiza. Urgh...I hate it too.
Requirement no 3 - my name has three words (including my dad's). Lenguh tangan nak isi borang UPU. Hubby's name has two words (his alone), so if I gave my kids another 2-word name, plus the bin/binti, jadi 5 words. Lagi lenguhlah tangan depa nak tulis.

Early in my pregnancy, we've choosen a boy's name that suits all the three requirements above. I guess because me and hubby wanted a boy so much, we ended up not looking for a girl's name at all. So, when my gynae told me that we're going to have a boy, we were thrilled and ecstatic.

So, a prince it is. And he was named Ashraff. Full name? Ashraff bin Mohd Fitri...hehehe...
In kitab, Ashraff carries the meaning "Yang Mulia". At first, we were contemplating on how we want it to be spelt - Asyraf or Ashraff. We then decided on Ashraff with an extra 'F' because at least kalau dia study overseas pun, people can still call him as Ash. Gempakkan? Hehehe...

All in all, it was an easy selection process. Me and hubby shares the same objectives and goals in this so it makes thing easier.

With our second one it's even easier.
Out of the blue, one day Hubby suddenly said "Kalau anak nombor dua pun lelaki, kita namakan dia Aliff nak?"
I replied "Aliff? Best jugak nama tu. Bolehlah...Apa makna dia?"
"Tak tahulah. Tapi sure baik punya..."
"Yelah kan? Macam Alif, Ba, Ta..."

That conversation took place long before I was preggy no 2. Early planning is crucial. Hehehe...
When I was preggy again, I had the feeling it's gonna be another boy. I have a very strong instinct at that time. Or is it because I want another boy just to accompany his big brother? Or another boy to keep me active and running and teaches me the meaning of patience? Perhaps.

And alhamdulillah, it was. And whether it was a coincidence or not, at that time I was preggy, my sis approached me and asked "Hey kak, dah ada plan nak bagi anak nama apa this time? Kalau belum dapat nama lagi, I would suggest Aliff."

So, Aliff it is. Nama penuh? Aliff bin Mohd Fitri. And up till now, I don't quite know the meaning of Aliff. Could not be bothered checking. But I think it should carry a good meaning.

Now, kalau ada rezeki, for no 3, I want a girl. And follow suit, also a girl to accompany her big sister. I've got names line-up for the girls. And I've briefly told hubby and he seems agreed to it. As I said, early planning is a must nowadays *LOL*. But I don't mind another active lad. Cumanya, we don't have any boy's names left in our list-of-our-children-names. So, if it's gonna be another boy, I think we would have a hard time in selecting his name.

So, ada apa pada nama? Everything!

msau the meaning of SQ and Kiki
shopping mum the meaning of Justin and Isabelle
Judy Chow Terry S
hannon Rachel
Samm Gordon and Malcolm
Sasha lil J Mott 2 Monkeys
Fatty Poh's Fatty Boy
Kd NAMI & MIMI D
Abg Z Abg H Princess & Litle D DadofFour Siti Khadijah, Muhammad Yusof, Siti Kauthar, Muhammad Ibraheem and Muhammad Umar
Minahsongeh Camillia, Camarina, Cqistina
IzreenFara NadyaAzureen
Lolyta Haris
Nana Sarah Nur Aliah
Rafiqah Ashraff & Aliff

5 people to tag:
1. Momma-Mia
2. Haariz's Mom
3. Zahra's Mom
4. Ibu Haziq
5. Aysh's Mom

Wanted to tag Eiseai, but I remembered she had made an entry about giving names to her two boys before. Maybe next time...

6 comments:

eiseais said...

hehehe...yeah, i love preparing, researching and giving good names. tapi no matter how much i stress on using full names, some people still insist calling asyraf "ash"...uwaaa tak suka :(

amir has already started calling baby no3 by his name. so happy i :)

Nana said...

wah.. sungguh cepat sudah menjawab tag. heheh..

Anonymous said...

Aliff means kelembutan. Kalau nak tgk meaning yg lebih tepat, check dlm kamus arab. Off hand, gitu la maknanya.

My soon to arrive baby's name pun dah ready. Ada few tapi si hureen dah siap pilih and panggil. Just tunggu je la.

I have 2 big brothers. Normally, 2nd brother lebih lembut dari segi perwatakan and close to adik2 as compared to 1st bro yg lebih garang and tegas. I think the same applies to girls kot. Agaknya la.

mommamia said...

alamak,i've been tagged!nnti i buat k-simple n senang la nama your kids,n yg penting ada makna,i thought ada mohd ke kt dpn tu,rupanya sekerat tu je ye hihi-but as what u said la,ayahnya pun dah ada 2 nama,kalau anak u ada 2 or 3 nama mmg jenuh la nak tulis kt borang nntikan

Fahidayati Ramli said...

well, kena tagged lah... nanti I explain ler how come AYSH FARHANN dapat nama...

masa list down nama dulu ada gak kriteria tapi after one year ni lupa plak kriteria yg telah digariskan... tkpe nanti kita ingat balik...

Nanti I jawab ek Ija... still bz after 3 days off.

Mak Teh said...

Salam dari Mak Teh, Kalau suka boleh je ikut nama 4 anak lelaki saya. Tetapi nama fesyen lama. Kami 'conservative' skit jadi anak lelaki semuanya ada Mohammad didepan and the next name bermula dengan A. So bila pergi study UK, nama mereka semua jadi sama i.e, Mr M.A B...... terdapat dalam documents or surat menyurat.