Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rectification Plan

After what had happened yesterday, I practically did not do any productive task, more of like doing some housekeeping of my files and documents, surfed the net for new breastpump, write some personal emails, made an entry at the blog and...that's it. How unproductive I was yesterday after the incidence!

Anyway, after making my last entry yesterday, my mind was somewhat at ease. I could clearly think, and rethink on an action plan before it's too late. Then suddenly it strikes me that I should go back to the place where I first bought the pump, which happens to be the sole distributor in Malaysia. Probably they could give a good look at the pump I'm using, and better still find a replacement part instead of having to buy a new pump. So I gave them a buzz before I left the office, and they told me I could come during their business hour, which happens to coincide with my working hours too. Thus, I decided to pay them a visit this Friday because after all I'm taking a leave on that day (errr...I plan to visit M@tta@Fair for our family holiday but that's different subject altogether). La, la, la, my heart was singing...

As I reached home, I decided on an even better plan. I will take an emergency leave tomorrow to drop by at the distributor's office. Work can wait, but 'production line' could not..hehehe...

The very next morning, I smsed to my officemate (which happens to be a guy) to tell boss that I'll be on half day EL today. My sms "Please bagitau boss yang I ambik cuti half day hari ni sebab...." Errr...sebab apa ye? I can't tell him that I need to repair my breastpump. He, my boss and the rest of the Human Resource troops will laugh when they read my reasons on the leave form. Ok, think of a reason quick! Ok, got it "sebab nak pergi repair kereta..." Hahaha...good and valid reason I believe. And the guy replied "Ok, will tell boss. Boss pun masuk lambat hari ni sebab alarm kereta dia buat hal." Lah, takkanlah kes aku sama ngan boss pulak? Now, I've got to think of what parts when wrong with my car. Errr...my dad's car broke down and I can't go to work, something's wrong with the engine. That'll do. Hahaha...talk about white lies...

So off I went to distributor's place at D@taranP@lma. Thank God it's near to my house. A lady greeted me at the door, and I told her my problem. She then asked me for my pump so she could have a look. The moment I showed her my pump, she gasped at the sight of it "Kak, pump ni dah teruk ni. Mungkin kena beli baru". What?! Alamak, takkan tak boleh repair kot...Shoot the question "Takde replacement part ke? Terus terang, budget takde nak beli pump baru ni". Betapa jujurnye aku!

The lady then decided to diagnose the problem and see what she can do. It turned out the rubber thingy near the handle (which is called stem-o-ring) has torn. The membrane pun dah koyak, the funnel is out of shape, and the valve head need to be replaced. "So, berapa semua sekali ni ye?" I asked the lady. Akak ni memang seriously takde duit, the lady must have think. So the purchase of the day were:-

Valve Head - RM15.00
Valve Membrane - RM14.00
Stem-O-Ring - RM35.00
Soft fit funnel - RM40.00

TOTAL - RM104.00

RM104.00! That's half the price of a new pump (or 45% of the price to be exact)! Not bad! I infact saved a lot. Alhamdulillah...and the pump looks like brand new, with shining funnel and what not...But I'm yet to test whether it's functioning well.

So, right before lunch, I did my first pumping section of the day. My God! It works like brand new...just like I first purchase it, almost three years ago. And guess what, it even increases my EBM. I got 8 oz at one go! I'm jumping with joy! Boy, I really am happy I'm making this choice.

Then again, I would still love to have a see-look-see-look on the Sp3tra electric pump. Perhaps I can use and leave that pump in the office...while my manual pump, I can use for tandem pumping at home (Aliff breastfeed one side, pump another side), or use it during travelling. I will contact the seller of Sp3ctra this evening to arrange for appointment to have a look at the pump and its carrier bag (She told me that bag is like a camcorder bag. Besar tu!). God, I'm obsessed with breastfeeding...*LOL* Alhamdulillah, I can continue giving Aliff the 'gold-standard' milk *sigh with relief*.

Anyway, for those who could not give your children breastmilk, it's okay. Don't feel bad. Ashraff was fed with formula from day one and he grew up to be a healthy and active boy. In fact, kalau nak ikutkan dia lagi jarang sakit dari adik dia yang so far dah 3 kali masuk hospital. U could perhaps try breastfeeding your next child, coz by that time, I'm sure you are more equipped with knowledge. I mean, that's what I do...

12 comments:

Juliah & Faridah said...

eh ..takde org comment lagi la.. ehhe..

so, kereta dah okay? eh silap (heheh)

pump dah okay? ..good..so production leh jalan seperti sedia kala la ye..

Hot Mama said...

don;t worry, last time my milk production pun really low then i got tips from friends that i need to drink lots of water need to be calm.. now milk production dah ok balik dah. tapi not banyak laa. i pun bg formula sometimes

I guess it is not the end of the world if one is unable to bf one's baby...

mommamia said...

yeay,prob dah settled!i never had any idea that the pump is expensive till i read this!(tak pernah pakai/beli pump seumur idup ihi)-fuhh repair jer already cost hundred bucks apatah lg kalau beli barukan?by the way glad that you managed to rectify things back,after reading yr entry,i'm so determined to BF my 2nd baby secukup2nya,dulu may i poyo2 kot sbb tu milk production cpt kontang-k raf,happy pumping ya!

Anonymous said...

Lupa nak ckp smlm.. Spectra ni satu je 'kekurangan'nya i.e. bigger and heavier that medela. Tapi cheaper and suction power mmg bagus wpun ada yg kata a bit menyakitkan.
Its good kalau ada both manual n letrik esp if u r in hurry for a meeting ke apa. Salunya elektrik n double pump ni bukan takat memendekkan masa mengepam but also increase the amount. Kalau biasanya u dapat 6-7oz, jgn terkejut if u can get 12oz using double elektric pump.
Pastu in terms of harga, mmg la expensive tapi just think about the money u save bila u full bf.

I ni mmg giler bab bf la hehe. And we all have sort of bf group la kat ofis. So mcm2 tips dapat. Satu tip yg i rasa works for almost all of us is makan Pil Asi. U can buy from shops at chow kit or buy from momslittleones.com.

Apalagi yek.. and dont worry sbb one u reach 6 months, mmg lega sbb baby dah start on solid. Nak travel also senang esp when u plan to travel obersea.

If i have more info, i'll let u know la. I skang ni risau bab tandem nursing sbb none of my frens yg buat so dok baca je skang ni. Hopefully ok la.

Bab penyakit tu, hannan mudah kena sakit lepas i stop bf. Sian dia. However, yg i notice la, dia mudah sembuh. And now mmg jarang sakit la.

Hudhud

Cherry said...

oops my PIS medela has been working well for the last 11 yrs. anyway, i heard spectra is as "good" as PIS medela , so you might want to try it. i tell you any cost for breast pump (a good one) is still a good investment.

Unknown said...

since you've managed to change the parts and seems like your production goes very productive! i'm happy for u ha ha. i'm used to breastfeed my lil cha cha for 6 months and the feeling was undescribable. unfortunately it was last for 6 months only *sigh*

rafiqaheliza said...

haariz's mom: kereta..ehh..pump dah okay:)

Hot mama: True, water does help. I kalau kurang minum, maknanya kuranglah hasil...

Mommamia: Pump ada byk jenis. The good and quality ones are of course expensive (kalau tak, takde org nak beli pulak). Eh u should have that determination to bfeed your 2nd baby..errr..is it coming soon?

rafiqaheliza said...

Hudhud: Boleh dapat 12 oz sekali pump? Amazing! Ni yang buat really wanna invest on double pump! The part yang time-saving tu i mmg suka coz we don't have all day just to pump. Career woman got tonnes of work today..ceh..cam bagus je..
Tulah, i pun rasa cam i dah obsess ngan bfeed, cuma tulah, unlike u, I got no friends to share too. Should develop a culture here...Nak trylah Pil Asi ni. Cam best jek!

rafiqaheliza said...

Ninuk: If I've known I'm going to have to use the pump religiously, I would have invest in PIS earlier on..like from my first child. But now, I guess I'll stick to the manual, or perhaps buy Spectra..Betul akak cakap, it saves a lot! Hubby mmg suka sgt2 sebab boleh save..and also he doesn't have to wake up to do milk..hehehe...

Halogamora: Thanks for dropping by! 6 months, okay what..That's a long time already. I yang first pun dapat 6 months je tapi depends entirely on EBM, coz dia dah start develop nipple confusion bila I start keje. Tak larat nak pump 24 jam, even when I'm with him, so i stop completely..

NZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NZ said...

Ija, I' know how u feel. I used to bf zahra till she's about 1 y 4m old. Tu pun stop because no more milk & dah pregnant 4 mths. Till now, i still feel kind of sad for not able to bf her anymore.

I remember the first time she drank formula milk, masa tuh she was 3 m plus. She was ok with it, ummi dia pulak yg felt like crying. Hopefully this time I can fully bf + ebm till 2 yrs old. ( hehe.. doa2 that will happen).

Talking about pumps, anyone here dah try the new electric avent pump?

famyGirl said...

*applause* *applause*
bersemangat betul aliff punya milk bar ni :) good luck to you sis. niat ikhlas, insyaAllah akan dipermudahkan semuanya