Wednesday, March 21, 2007

At school...

Heh? Rajinnya aku blog dua tiga hari ni. Dalam 2 minggu ni aje, dah 5 entry aku buat. Macam takde keje lain pulak. Ala, selagi ada mood, baik teruskan...

Ok, what do I wanna write about just now? Oh yes, on Ashraff. He's been attending this English class at L0rn@Wh1st0n, Taman Tun for..let me see...1 1/2 months now. For the last two classes, we (me & hubby) decided to wait outside instead of joining him in the class. Alhamdulillah, he is independent enough, and does not cry for us to stay besides him all the time. In fact, he doesn't even care whether we exist! The moment he saw the lovely and colourful toys spread across the rooms, he completely forgotten about us, just as expected...

I have to admit, it was quite boring to be waiting outside for 1 1/2 hour, despite having a book to read. Actually not so much of boring but more of the strong urge to see what's my son is doing in the class. I think I'm getting so used to being involved in the class activity, that I somehow regretted not being able to join the fun anymore. Since other parents now decided to wait outside, it will be a bit odd for me to be sitting inside the class. The teacher and her assistant must be thinking I'm an overly protective mommy or something...

But anyway, last week, I decided to stay a bit longer in the class before going out. So I got to see Ashraff playing with the toys. He's interested on the wooden peg puzzle (you know the one where each piece has a handle, so all you have to do is put it according to the mold and shape..oh, i'm bad at describing stuffs). He did only two pieces of one puzzle, and move on to disturb another girl who was trying her luck on another puzzle. Ashraff started to snatch the piece the girl was holding, and showed the girl how to put it in a correct mold. "Macam ni lah..." said Ashraff, like macamlah that girl tu tak tahu. Then when the girl took another piece and terkial-kial nak letak dalam the correct mold, Ashraff again snatched the piece from her hand. Thank God the girl decided not to cry or else her mother would be running inside the room and found out that my son was the culprit.

Finished with the girl, Ashraff moved on to the next victim, a pair of twins, also trying a hand on another puzzle. He squeezed in between the twins and sat there. Despite Ashraff's behaviour, I decided not to take charge of things and let the teacher and assistant control the situation. All I did was shaking my head. The teacher saw me and she said "Our aim is actually to make these children concentrate for at least 20 minutes so that they can move on to next level. Usually by the end of the year, we manage to do it." 20 minutes?! Ashraff can't even sit still, for like 3 minutes? Well, good luck teacher!

Then during the physical activity (which Ashraff loves best!), the teacher approached me and sat next to me. She told me "Ashraff is such a brave and active boy. You know about Ashraff, he keeps on running and jumping around in the class and refused to sit on the mat while we did our read-aloud or playing games."

I'm like errr...."Well, he has a short concentration span," trying my best to defend Ashraff. Actually more of like in a denial state...

The teacher then replied "Actually, this is not on concentration. Concentration is when you do or look at something, and later move on doing other things. But Ashraff doesn't even LOOK to start of with."

I'm like WHAT???!! Apa kes dengan anak aku ni?? I thought he will actually behave in class, after all, most kids were when they are surrounded by unfamiliar surrounding. But not this lil lad of mine. He's just being his super-duper active self no matter where he is.

"Is he the only one in class who behave like this?"
"Emmm...I guess so...Or probably some other kids..", the teacher replied, more of like macam nak sedapkan hati I je.

Kids in the class are all his age (they are all born in 2004), but takkan lah the others could give full commitment and cooperation but not my Ashraff? Ishk...

"Errr...what can I do to help?"
"It's okay. That's why you send him to school. We will he try what we can do and see whether he could at least concentrate by the end of the year. For now, my assistant will have to sit with him so that he can at least be involved in the activity."

Ok, should I be panicked my son doesn't sit still in class?
Breathe in, breathe out...Think...
Hmmmm...
He's only 2 plus. And this is only a playschool, for God's sake. Playschool, is only for play, play and play, am I right? So, I shouldn't be worried, right?
Breathe in, breathe out again...
There's no exam at the end of the year, anyway. So why should I care whether he actually learns in class, right?
Now, think of the reasons why I sent him to school.
Develop social skills, learn English, introduce him to school atmosphere.
These are definitely not the reasons - Able to read at three. Able to write perfectly at 4. Score straight As in class.
So, by right I should not panic, right?
Ok, inhale, exhale...
Yes, I should be proud that Ashraff is independent enough in class. He can carry himself well, rather than berkepit dengan Ibu. That is even harder I believe...
When should I start worrying?
If this thing continues when Ashraff enters Primary, then I should start think about it and take action if the same behaviour persist. Or is that still a bit too early?

For now, I'll just stick to what the teacher advised me - sent him to school and let them do their job and we'll see how he turns out to be by the end of the year. If the teacher could just make him stay still and concentrate by then, then they are doing a marvellous job.

Oh, this makes my urge to stay in the class even stronger. I could sit with him just like what the assistant did. Rasa okay tak idea ni?
Do I sound like I'm worry...again?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. if Hureen joins the class then Asyraff will have another super-duper active fren. Sama la dgn anak i.. budak bulan august 2004 mmg camtu kot hehe. My team member anaknya lahir 040804 pun camtu la. At least anak u boy. Anak i ni naik confuse rasanya. Beli dolls/bear bnyk2, adiknya yg main. And dorang cepat boring. Susah nak focus even tgk tv. Lari sana-sini. Lompat sana-sini.

A fren yg 'pernah' ada anak camtu (her kid dah outgrow that stage) advised me to find activities yg dia suka and temankan dia kalau nak dia sit still. Hureen suka drawing & colouring and can sit still for at least 10 mins doing it, IF we stay besides her. This type of kids also takkan duduk diam lama2 just to dengar cerita UNLESS cerita tu very interesting. I found later that Hureen suka jadi main actor in each n every stories yg i cerita. So i create stories yg main actor mesti nama 'Ain' (Hureen Ain) and kena ensure cerita tu relate dgn dia gak. E.g.

Mama = Pada suatu hari, ada seekor cat. Nama cat tu apa?
Hureen jwb = Cik Ain
Mama = Cik Ain bangun tido and mandi petang. Cik Ain pakai baju cantik, sikat rambut, pakai bedak. Pastu Cik Ain keluar main.. cik ain suka main apa?
Hureen = Badminton

And the story goes on. Kalau nak guna buku, pun sama gak. Kena cari yg bnyk pics and ask her lots of questions. Kalau tak, dia bgn and lari.

Hah, for your trip nanti, bring things yg Asyraff suka mcm ball ke, toys etc. Things yg dia tak jemu and can keep him moving all the time.

Also, kena bring him out for physical activities everyday lps balik ofis so that dia leh lompat and lari sampai penat sepenatnya. Then dia akan be more relaxed and focused at nites.

Does he sit in a car seat each time travels? Tu yg one thing i'm amazed about hureen. Dia leh dok dlm car seat even long journeys. I think sbb dah train dari lahir kot. Also we have vcd player dlm kereta to distract her. So i rasa if she can sit in car seat then other things also boleh gak, given the time insyaAllah. I think the teacher lupa nak ckp the objective of training the kids to sit and focus is actually part of discipline.

Good luck from hudhud

rafiqaheliza said...

Hudhud: Thanks for your comments and tips! I appreciate that...I pun rasalah budak bulan Ogos camtu despite the gender. Active sgt2! Just like Hureen, he loves when I read him books everynight b4 sleep. He loves to draw jugak, but doesn't like kalau the colors kena tangan dia sebab dia mmg geli sgt2. So finger painting is a NO-NO for him. Tried that with him last week (sbb takde school) and he hated it!

Would love to do the role-playing thing with him, like what u did. I'm suprised u got all the time in the world, to entertain hureen, despite having another toddler and preggy. I ni cepat letih!

Oh yeah, Ashraff akan sebaik2nya bila duduk dalam car seat. Tu yang suprise other people tu. Orang akan make remarks like "Eh, dalam car seat boleh pulak dia duduk diam ye." I guess he's being trained since 3mo. Plus CD yang dia suka dgr, like nursery rhymes or i look, i see..so dia can sing along...that will keep him occupy.

Yeah, the teacher needs to discipline these kids in order to move to different level. Taulah, different level nanti mungkin akan involve things like learning to read etc. so concentration mmg penting...

Juliah & Faridah said...

make that 3,

Haariz pon mana pernah duduk diam.
Cikgu dia kata, all the time dia active. Ada one girl same age bleh sempat ambik nap, si haariz tetap cargas!!.....

takyah worry lagi la ija, mmg time diorang main, main=learn.

skarang haariz akan duduk diam kalau dia main blocks dia..(buat KLCC kata dia) & main dinasour (ni baru ni..)

kalau tgk tv pon dia tak duduk diam, melompat sana sini ikut character katun tu.. ehhehe

rafiqaheliza said...

haariz's mom: I'm not that worry. Rasanya susah lagi nak handle kalau dapat anak yang timid, nangis je dlm class as compared to active. Ashraff pun kalau buat benda yang dia suka, dia akan duduk diam for a while. Oh, tgk TV tak pernah dok diam. Kalau diam tu, rasa cam tak percaya je yg itu ialah Ashraff..hehe..

mommamia said...

yuupp raf,dont worry too much k,i rasa better lg yg aktif mcm ashraff drpd anak yg manja,takut dgn org,menangis jer n asik nak berkepit dgn mak,tu lg risau-i think ashraff ni smart,budak cedik ni slalunya aktif and cergas,tak dok diam,otak dia ligat jer fikir apa dia nak buat,so smart gene tu dah ada,let the teachers handle the disciplinary part k,anak yg mak2 bekerja ni mmg sumer mcm ni kot?sbb anak my bro(wife dia surirumah) opposite abis,baik jer tp tu la manja skit n berkepit je ng mak dia-irina pun sama aktif gak,kdg2 i wonder sbb kurang perhatian ke kasih syg ke apa anak2 kita ni?hihi

Cherry said...

ok le tu budak2 lagi. just go with the flow.