Monday, March 12, 2007

Can I achieve it?

I feel like crying so bad, now at this hour...in front of my PC..I suppose to be doing my work now, but instead I choose to express my feeling in this little online journal of mine...I wanted to blog about something else, but this thing has been boiling in my mind for the last 5 hours.

Camana nak mulakan ni? Straight to the point jelah. My expressed breast milk is running low today. I managed to extract only 3 oz instead of the normal 7 oz per pumping session! Aliff needs like 15 oz per day. The breastpump just conked out! The suction is no longer strong and the use-to-be quiet manual pump is currently making quite a sound while pumping. I can't figure out what's wrong but I believe that pump sudah menemui 'ajal'nya. Damnit!

Actually, semalam lagi I dah sedar yang my EBM dropped while doing tandem pumping but I don't really mind that much coz yesterday is an off-day from work. Aliff could breastfeed directly as long and as much as he wants. But today, the reality strikes when I did my first pumping session this morning. What the heck is wrong with this pump? Why is the sucking motion so soft? And the sound? I tried pumping for almost 1/2 hour and just gave up when I could not get much outcome. At that point onwards, I feel like crying...and that feeling lingers till now...

I immediately surfed the net, looking for a replacement part for the pump (somehow or rather I think the problem has got to do with the rubber thingy at the handle). But, they don't offer such part for the breastpump. No choice, but to hunt for a new breastpump. I feel like buying the same type I'm currently using, but I want to try an electric pump from Spectr@ due to its rave reviews (esp the part where it actually increase your EBM). So Spectr@ 3 is on my top list.

Then again, this working place of mine is not breastfeeding friendly. There's no comfortable location for me to do the pumping. I use to pump in the surau or in the store (where there's no lock so anyone could just enter without notice) . The corner of the store where I usually does my 'production' has no power source/point, so scrape the idea of wanting to continue breastpumping there should I want to invest on this new breastpump.

Next is the surau. Oh yeah, they do have a power point there so I'd be able to set up my production line there. In the morning I could do it comfortably, but after lunch hour the surau will be jam-packed with people, so there's no way I'm going to do my activity there. In fact, I've never seen people pumping in surau before. Oh, I feel like crying again...

Ok stop it Rafiqah. You are determine to continue breastfeeding exclusively. So by right, you shouldn't care what people say. But this Rafiqah does care! I have to admit I'm shy when it comes to this subject. I treat it as my most intimate and private moment. I'll sneak out slowly to do my pumping, and will put my EBM in the fridge as slowly as I can so nobody would notice (and nobody will find out about my EBM in there), and back at my desk doing work as if I've never leave it before. Well, at least I thot nobody would notice...

And then on the carrier bag itself. You know how by carrying a cooler/carrier bag at peculiar time of the day could attract the attention of the people around you? I wanna avoid that too, if I could, especially from the guys at the office. They might wondering where the hell this Rafiqah is going carrying the bag at this time of the hour. With the current pump, I use the JLChildress bag, pretty small and compact so nobody would actually notice or care to ask what's inside. They might think that's just the normal cosmetic pouch. But with the new pump I'm eyeing on, the carrier bag is a bit bulky, thus I have the feeling like the whole office would be looking at me should I carry the bag, trotting across the floor. Or what's the impression of the people in LRT when they look at a lady carrying a big handbag plus another bulky carrier bag? It'll be too space consuming in the packed-LRT, everyone will feel like screaming at me!

Ahh...why should I care in the first place? Why do I have to think too much and stress myself out (that'll affect my milk production even more). I suppose to be proud that I'm giving my baby the best milk in the whole wide world. If I'm determine enough, I should have tutup mata sebelah and just do what I have to do. I could just go at anyone who's looking at me quizzically and say 'if u r wondering but afraid to ask, inside this big and bulky bag is actually a breastpump and bottles for me to produce milk for my son. Oh yeah, u can have a look inside the fridge if u want to see what I've produce so far'. And at the surau, I could just pump proudly and answer any queries that come along the way. Aha! That sounds good isn't it?

Then again, do I actually have the guts to do so? Ah! I have to have a strong-will in order for me to pursue my goal to exclusive breastfeed Aliff. I have to do it. I've gone this far and in another 1 1/2 month to go, I've reached my goal. Come on Rafiqah!

Ok, let me see. I visualize myself carrying my big handbag and carrier bag in the crowded LRT, smile at anyone who look at me with annoying face, take the bulky bag and walk pass my boss room to the surau, make myself comfortable in one corner of the surau where the powerpoint is, smile at anyone who's giving me 'the look' and continue pumping happily. Oh, it wasn't that bad isn't it?

Aaahhh...I think I should go on investing on this new electric pump before my EBM reduce even further. Looking at the stock I have, I think it could last for another one week. Or I could just take a 'milk leave' for desperate measure. I'll place the order soon, but not after I know what's the dimension of the carrier bag, only for my knowledge...hehehe...

Oh it feels a lot better after pouring out my dissapointment and exasperation..Now I can smile again...

11 comments:

mommamia said...

Raf,i really salute you!really!i couldn't offer much advice since i tak experience this thing (irina breastfeed masa pantang jer,when i started working,dia taknak dah breast i hihi)but raf,what can i say is just pump it mommy!pump it!jgn peduli apa org nak ckp/whateva their perception towards you-you know the best for your kids and as what u said u should be proud of doing it mommy!i think society nowadays dah berfikiran terbuka and cukup berilmu utk mengetahui bhw pumping milk during office hr is like common,biasa dah,takde apa yg perlu di malukan sbb rata2 ibu skang berkerjaya,and i believe ibu2 yg mempunyai determination yg tinggi utk terus breastfeed baby mcm u(tidak menjadikan kerjaya sbg halangan) will gain more respect from others,and the best part mayb your determination will impress the other mommy-to-be utk jadi mcm u and giving the best for their babies(read:susu ibu adalah yg terbaik utk anak anda),trust me,dont feel bad k,keep on pumping gal!:)

Anonymous said...

Ohh dear it's me Muaz...don't give up..just keep on pumping. Takde apa nak dimalukan...maybe bcoz u'r the only one yg determine to breastfeed kot...cam kat my opis dah tak kisah dah..setiap penjuru bilik ada orang mengepam...kekadang selubung ngan teklekung lagi tapi because of the sound so other person notice apa yg diorg buat.
Currently i'm using spectra3 alhamdullilah it's helping me a lot! my old avent pun amatlah berjasa jugak. If u want more guide & info can ask momslittleones. Pasal beg don't worry maybe u can find mothercare bagpack or other knpsack...masuk cooler bag sekali dlm tu...tadaaa!senang bawak gi mana pun. Nak stylish hehehe nanti2 also can..
ok don't worry to much...i'm ging thru that stage too...when my supply drop...adus memang sedih tapi kena kerja keras skit la...

Nana said...

hmm... this is new to me coz i never really cared about what people thot of me when i was breasfeeding Aliah dulu.

mmg aku blasah je pump kat surau. there would be curious onlookers tapi i think everyone else mcm tak heran je.

i mean, yg kat surau tu pon sume pompuan kan? and they SHOULD understand right?

ala ija.. buat tak tau je. bukannya ko buat salah. in fact you're doing something really good for your son. kan? :)

Unknown said...

rafiqah.. am currently using MedelaElectricMini and so far it has proven itself worthy for the past 5 months or so. About the breastfeeding, I have been doing it in my office pantry and covering up with shawls and jackets, so far alhamdullillah, everybody has no qualms about me periodically going off or the noise (dahlah sebelah toilet MD - I guess he must be wondering sometimes).
Go for it babe! The more we pump, the more beneficial it is for us and our babies!

bakerina said...

I use AVENT. Its manual. Its quiet and discreet. Its simple to dismantle and set up. No need for power point.
I do understand we mothers agonize over decisions like formula against breastmilk but I believe the formula nowadays are good substitute for breastmilk. Your baby has had the benefits for 4 months and if its causing you so much stress to breastfeed that it is making you depress, then give formula. Its not as bad as you think.
Its just our mindset.

mommy@lif said...

raf(ikut mommamia sebab pjg nak eja full name), i salute you mommy! i selalu excited baca citer working mommy yg exclusively bf baby.. sebab i know it's hard work..but it pays, so worth every little effort you put in it. sambil buat production tu, baca lah buku ke, mag ke, you'll be amazed looking at the EBM. cannot advise much on the brand you mention..i beli yng manual breast pump je. but heard medela's like izreen using memang bagus.. 15 mins pon boleh dpt byk susu. good luck girl :)

rafiqaheliza said...

U guys, feel like crying baca u all punya comment...oh, i'm just being too sensitive over this issue...A million thanks to u all *Hugs to all of you*!

Mommamia: In general I rasa public are more open on this brfeeding issue...but kat ofis I ni, I could not find anyone who pump walaupun ramai yang gave birth...But I'm sure if they see me pumping at the office, that'll open their eyes to the conceptkan?! Thanks beb!

Muaz: Spectra best yek? Alahai..ni yang buat rasa nak beli sgt2 ni. Lucky you, since u ada ramai geng pumping, unlike me yang so far could not a friend to do the pumping together. Now u give me the idea to pump bawah telekung for better cover-up, that'll be good kan? Yeah, i've been contacting momlilones on this spectra thing...Ingat nak tgk the thing secara live before really invest on it.

Nana: Oh, I wish I can be like u. I ni jenis yang pk banyak sgt kot...Any pompuan should understand, right? I could just smile proudly at the onlooketrs, right? Soon, they'll get use to see me pumping at the surau, i suppose...

rafiqaheliza said...

izreen: Medela is a good brand, yeah?! But the electric ones, sound ada ala-ala mesin rumput, kan?! But u're such a brave girllah, wouldn't care what people would say. Wish I can be like u..or at least try to be like u...Thanks for the support!

bakerina: Avent is a good brand too for manual pump besides my MedelaHarmony! Oh yes, definitely agree that it's nothing wrong with giving formula to baby. My first son has been consuming formula since day one, and so far his antibody is stronger than my second one...But I think my stress is still under control;)

Mommyalif: Skang ni pun mmg i baca mag/novel while pumping. It's more of a 'break' time for me, macam lelaki take-5 for smoking...medela has good pumps, cuma harganye tu ada mahallah sikit..so, kalau nak beli baru, rasa cam nak nangis, esp bila tgh takde budget:(

Anonymous said...

Dear Sis,

Hudhud here. I can REALLY understand and imagine how u feel rite now. I fully bf hannan till she was about 10 months. I stopped (gradually) when i found out i was preg. Anyway, kan i mention i was at your ofis building hari tu doing audit. Hannan was 8-9 months masa tu and i was there for about 2 months. Ya Allah, siksanya dok situ sbb very not baby friendly. Even the surau. Kan ada satu section tu yg ada like partition tu. I used Spectra memula so kena guna power point and as u said la, i sorang2 je yg pump while the rest sibuk tgk2. Mmg tensen. Then i guna my manual avent and dok kat belakang partition tu and it was even worst. Ppl datang n pegi, sambil pakai tudung sambil tinggalkan remark "Sikitnya susu u yea" I rasa mcm nak lempang je masa tu hehe. So i can really faham la what u go thru right now. Pasal bag tu, haah just use any bags, knapsack je pun ok. Put everything inside there. I hari tu guna beg notebook. Mcm2 sumbat. Pump, cooler bag, bottles, notebook, mineral bottles. Spectra mmg best while medela bising giler.
Kat ofis i lak, mmg kontra la. Like what other sis tu ckp, bf mums mmg ramai and the guys pun dah immune agaknya and sometimes they'll shy away hehe. Now i dah pregnant 5 months and occasionally still bf hannan. Susu dah takde but taknak dia lupa coz i'm planning to do tandem nursing nanti. Besar sungguh angan2 ku... heheh...

Juliah & Faridah said...

alamak.. soon it'll be my turn. risau nye.. dulu i use avent.. tapi ye la, dgn haariz dpt sampai 4bulan je.. then stop..nyesal nye. :(
ija dah try minum air halba??.. (untuk tambahkan susu..)

pss, kawan kita yg kawin bulan 11 haritu dah pregnant :)

rafiqaheliza said...

Hudhud: Dear, sorry for not replying your email earlier on. Mmg tak breastfeeding friendly kan? And mmg menyeksakan! There's a lot of preggy lady, but I'm yet to stumble on people who actually pump in this building. In fact, at my branch ni pun, 3 orang gave birth before me but none of them pump. Kalau ada geng, best jugak so we can share problems and support each other. I think I'll have to start the culture of breastpumping in this company lah...heh, nanti i email u nak tanya lebih pasal spectra yek. And the remark that lady made at the surau tu, mmg melampau!! At least we try and give our kids the best no matter how small the qty is. Wow! Tandem nursing! Go for it, sis!

Haariz's mom: How's breastfeeding culture in your company? Ramai orang pump tak? Kalau ramai, u somehow or rather are motivated to join the club. takdelah rasa janggal and out of place mcm I ni. Ija belum lagi minum air halba. So far, my milk is still ample for Aliff. Just have to keep on pumping to maintain the amount.
Psst..kawan kita yang mana ni? Unon's wife? Man's wife? Or someother fren yang i miss?