Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Some shut-eye issues.


Believe it or not. Ashraff still needs to be pat to sleep. No matter how sleepy he is. Without patting, he could not sleep, or probably he can, but we have to wait realllyyy loooong before he finally doze off. Perhaps past midnight. And while waiting, he will talk alone, or worst still singing in the dark. Really loudly till the whole household could not sleep. “1,2, buckle my shoes…” followed by “Power Rangers SPD, Power Rangers to the Rescue…”

Hmmm…so, no choice but to pat him to sleep.

And he only wants Ibu to pat him. Ayah’s hands does not qualify.

Aliff, on the other hand, can sleep by just breastfeeding him lying down. Easy peasy. But it still has to be Ibu. Ayah can’t offer the comfort of breastfeeding.

So Ibu is torn between the two.

Solution, breastfeed Aliff on one side….and pat Ashraff who is lying on the other side. Pretty complicated I tell you. Boleh tergeliat badan dibuatnya.

Ayah, sitting at the edge of the bed, watching guiltily coz he couldn’t help with anything. His presence is not needed by any of the two kids.

It really needs a lot of patience to handle such situation. Especially when after endless stroking, and your toddler still hasn’t sleep. Or your baby suddenly request you to rock him to sleep, and you had to stand up, and let go of your toddler who also needs your attention. And your toddler starts to wail really loudly “Ibu kopok (tepuk) Ashraff ! Ibu kopok Ashraff!”. And now even your baby could not sleep due to the noise. Really chaotic!

I never thought I would be able to go through that situation, but we managed to pull-off excellently till the kids finally fall asleep peacefully. Usually this will take quite sometime to settle down.

Well, not every night this chaotic case happened (Thank God!).

Sometimes Ashraff chose Tok Mak to pat him to sleep. So I’ll only concentrate on Aliff.

Sometimes I’ll pat Ashraff on one side and breastfeed Aliff on the other side, and the three of us will doze simultaneously.

Once in a blue moon, Ashraff doesn’t mind Ayah patting him to sleep.

But for me, I only got one wish pertaining to this issue. It’s for Ashraff to finally get over this phase and finally learn how to sleep on his own. He has this tremendous ability to really fight with his own sleepy eyes since he was merely a baby (say 1 month old). I really wish he could just lie down anywhere if he’s too tired and immediately doze off, be it bawah meja ke, tepi pasu ke, depan TV ke, like some kids do. So far, rasanya adalah dua ke tiga kali yang dia tidur sendiri…

Now with Aliff. Pretty easy to lull him to sleep.

But he’s a light sleeper. So, he will wake up to just a slightest sound.

And at night, he wasn’t a great sleeper either. Recently, he woke up at 5 am in the morning, for no apparent reason. Mata terbuntang dan berkilat2 di tengah gelap. Hmmm…

And another time, at 3 am.

We never experience this with Ashraff. So it’s pretty much a new experience for me.

So after a lot of hassle putting Ashraff to sleep, now I have to deal with Aliff who keeps on waking up at night. Macam nak ajak main. But after half and hour of goo-goo gaa-gaa, he’ll resume sleeping. Abah told me I was just like Aliff when I was small. He had to entertain me almost every middle of the night. So Aliff might inherited that habit from me. Ah, well…

Anyway lack of sleep really helps me in maintaining my figure, thanks to them. So, no need for extra diet or something. But the dark undereye circle. And pretty pale looking face. Urghh!!

Thus, one day, I somesort of lodge a complaint report to a collegue of mine. I told her I’m tired being a mother to this two demanding kids. I haven’t got enough sleep…rest…bla..bla..bla…

Her response left me almost speechless.

She told me to visit a Fertility Centre, and look at the faces I could find there. Those people are hoping upon hope to be able to conceive and have their own kids one day. And I should be lucky that I’m bless with my own kids. No matter how tiring and stressful it may be, it’s never as tiring and stressful as trying to conceive.

Errr….

Ok, she got a point. I shouldn’t complain. In fact, I shouldn’t have make an entry about this in the first place. Shouldn,t, shouldn’t, shouldn’t.

But I guess being able to express my joy and hardship of being a parent is something wonderful. After all, when I look back at this entry when my kids are older, I would be able to grin with pride and say, I’ve successfully been through all these. A bliss, indeed.

For now, that saying "Sleeping Like a Baby" is completely nuisance. Coz for a two-time mommy here, sleeping like a baby is actually this:-

12 comments:

Amy said...

Hi to you..kita start baca blog awak dari last week, bloghopping from Izreen's. Kawan you cakap mende yg betul, just be thankful that you have kids..and phase ni mmg dilalui by all mothers in the world..your kids are adorable!
-Me yg dah 4 years waiting for a good news-

eiseais said...

hehehe...alhamdulillah both boys sleep thru the night at a young age. amir by 4 mths & asyraf by 3 mths - no more night feeding and no more waking up for nothing at night. tapi mummy diorang still cant get her full night's sleep. every ughhh sound they make, mummy sure terjaga :(

nasib baik for both boys, both mummy and daddy works fine with them. usually the daddy will take amir, and the mummy will take asyraf. bila dpt 3rd nanti????

mommamia said...

Raf,reading this entry really made me realised that i'm not the only mother who suffer from sleep-deprieved!but your situation is more challenging since u have to attend 2 kids punya demand,baca the way u put your kids to sleep really make me salute u la raf,tough job tuu..

Irina dulu masa 1yr+ tido lmbt pukul 1-2pagi almost everyday,mcm u ckpla dia lwn mata,dah ngantuk pun nak main lg pastu asikla nak menangis-i betul2 tension n slalu sakit kepala kat opis tak cukup tido,but luckily bila dia dah besar,dah pandai bermain ng budak2 lain kat nurseri so bila blk rumah dia dah penat,pkl 10lbh confirm zzz,bukak jer cd barney bg dia susu confirm dia tido 10min lps tu.
i think the trick here is bg anak2 penat bermain n jgn tidokan dia awal2,like irina kalau maghrib dia dah ngantuk i tahan buat2 main dgn dia tak kasi dia tido dulu,kalau tido maghrib then dia bgn pukul 9mlm alamatnya dia akan tido blk pkl 2.

ashraff stay kat rumah with your maidkan?u pesan kat maid jgn bg dia tido ptg2 sgt and hopefully bila dia dah penat dia akan sng nak tido and maybe u tak perlu pat dia lg,adakah akan menjadi semudah ini?:)hopefully la kan, and Raf,bout patting ashraff to sleep tu kan,ni mesti u jadikan habit masa dia kecik2 dulu ya?tu yg dia addicted tu,well maybe aliff u jgn ajar dia bertepuk or berbuai bila nak tido,just train him to sleep on his own.

sori Raf,pjg pulak comment i,hopefully dgn tips2 i yg tak seberapa ni dpt tolong u sedikit sebyk,i tau ni pun sbb share ng blogger mommies lain since i dulu pun ada prob ng anak yg susah tido-just sabar raf takpe time fly very fast,nnti ok la tu,that's y la org ckp syurga bwh tapak kaki ibukan,now i fully believe with the quote!

rafiqaheliza said...

Amy: Hey you..Thanks fr dropping by. Oh God bless u, Amy. I really hope you'll conceive one soon..Now, I feel bad for complaining. Yes, I should be thankful. I wouldn't trade them for anythg...

Eiseai: So you're one lucky mother huh. That's why you can coceive no 3...hehehe..if u got what I mean *wink*.

Mommamia: Baca your comment ni i terasa cam nak nangis pulak. Esp bila sampai the quote "Syurga di bawah tapak kaki ibu". Thanks for your advise beb.

Ngan Ashraff tu, you never know what I've been thru with him. He has to be rocked to sleep sampai umur 1 1/2! Every morn I'll wake up with an aching arm. I don't intend to train him that way. Sape nak, dok kena gendong and pat je all the time. Of cos, I want an easier way out. But when he had severe colic until 3 mo age, so nothing can console him except our craddling and rocking. So agaknya dia dah terbiasa macam tu. We did try a no of times, to let him sleep on his own after the colic nightmare passes. Tapi it never works with Ashraff!! It turns out this guy is under high-need baby category i.e. he's very demanding type (I got to know this from www.drsears.com). So we had to deal with that till now. Phewhhh *lap peluh kat dahi*.

Now, for nap time, mmg i tak kasi bibik tidokan dia after 3 pm. Kalau by 3 pm dia tak tido, then he'll have no nap at all. Pukul 9 terus zzzz...I think it's about time dia dah start tak nap.

Ngan Aliff, he's the easier type. I think he could manage to sleep on his own later. No puting or whatever for him. Cuma tang nak ajak main tgh malam tu yg susah part. Hmmm..they'll grow up fast. Soon, I'll be missing this phase...hehehe..

Unknown said...

dark circle around your eyes....and badan yang naik ala2 kembung???

That doesn't leave you with much choice does it?

I feel your pain.....me...dark circle and badan yang gemok....shesssh....

kaezrin said...

hi dearie....ouch...efi pun kdg2 susah nak lena sendiri...but itulah i baru sorang kan so not so bad and he doesnt mind eoither me or my hubby,.,.efi nak tido suruh we all ngaji atau selawat in his ears...somnehow it touch me when he always said mama, pp nak tido..mama ngaji...the same scripot every nite...so i will just ngaji and selawat untill at the end both of us terus tido..:))

Anonymous said...

I remember few nites ago masa Hureen nak tido, i nyanyi la some nasyids as usual. Suddenly she said, "Mama, jgn nyanyi. Tak best". Hahaha tergelak besar i. Sure selama ni dia tension dgr sore i tapi now baru pandai ckp hehehe. Lepas2 tu, bila dia nyanyi sorang2, i akan usik, "Kakak, jgn nyanyi. Tak best". Bengang member.

Nway, i dont have problems with both Hureen n Hannan bab tido ni. Hureen can sleep on her own since dalam pantang lagi while hannan can sleep tak sampai 5 minit kadang tu dah nyenyak. Maybe ikut budak gak kot.

Takpe sis, Inna Ma'al 'Usri Yusra. Sesungguhnya dgn kesusahan itu ada kesenangan. And bebenda ni salunya tak nampak skrg when they r still small.

Hudhud

rafiqaheliza said...

Fina: Which one is better - Fat with dark circle Or Cengkung with Dark Circle? I think both kot..hahaha..The price we have to pay being mommy..

Kaezrin: Oh, that's not that bad. At least he's not demanding. Can have adik oready..*wink*. Ashraff pulak suruh baca buku bila nak tidur. And also recite 'lailahaillallah' sambil pat dia. Tell you, tough job esp bila mata kita dah tak boleh nak bukak lagi dah...

Hudhud : Hahahaha...Mesti dia all the while dia suffer je dgr suara you..hehehe. Lucky you, pal dpt anak jenis tido sendiri. Senang gitu! But like you say, di setiap kesusahan, pasti ada kesenangan di kemudian hari, insyaAllah...

eiseais said...

hehehe rafiqah...skarang lah boleh consider lucky. for 2 months after asyraf was born i was at my wits end. sampai i ran into the other room because he wont sleep. skarang ni mmg bersyukur. but then...the thought of all the sleepness nights repeating in 6 months time...takutttttt

david santos said...

Hello!
Very, very nice. thank you
have a good weekend

rafiqaheliza said...

eiseai : Heh, i pun pernah mcm u. Sampai ada skali tu, siap fikir lagi "what have i got myself into?" Jahat tak jahatlah i ni..Mcm menyesal pulak jadi mak. That was when I got Ashraff, that highly demanding baby! Heh..

David: Hi David! Thanks for dropping by.

famyGirl said...

baru nak kata, sure makin melidi ni sebab tak cukup tido. dah le you memang slim to begin with.

i feel for you. i've been there before. tunggulah aliff besar sket, nanti dah tido dia taknak bangun :p i now have to deal with aidiin yang insist nak tido lagi when kejut bangun pagi-pagi nak gi school. tapi weekends awal pulak bangun... willingly pulak tu!! Ibu fenin.