Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Wedding to be remembered...

20th January 2007

My brother-in-law, Kapt. Mohd Firdaus is finally married to the love of his life, Emy Mariati. The akad-nikah took place on 10th January 2007 at the girl’s house in Mersing. Later, the girl’s side held a lovely reception at Hotel Equatorial, Melaka.

On 2oth January 2007, another reception was held in my mother-in-law’s house in Ponti@n. Well, I can say the whole event was such a resplendent affair, unlike the common wedding you would normally see. Of course, it was an army’s wedding, thus full of formalities. If you don’t know or have never seen an army weds before, you should seek an opportunity at your very best to do so. Or if you are still single, do marry an army…find one that is Leftenan and above…*LOL*. And if you do marry one, oh lucky you!

Hubby, selaku tuan rumah menyambut tetamu-tetamu yang hadir (that's Abah and Mak Ampang by the way), menggantikan arwah Bah.

First, there was no kompang to accompany the bride and groom. Instead, the couple were assisted by bag pipers, which sounded so much like in the movie “Braveheart”, together with six sword-bearers. The groom i.e. my BIL and the sword-bearers were immaculately clad in a well-fitted official army’s suit. The bride was beautifully dressed in white lace bridal gown. Though I’ve seen my BIL countless times, I must say he looked stunning in his white army suit.


The bag pipers and the sword-bearers.

Then, the troop stopped right in-front of the house, and both the bride and groom walked underneath the shinning swords. I couldn’t keep my jaw from dropping the whole time. If not due to the heavy downpour, I’m sure the whole kampung will gather to witness such exceptional event.


The couple berjalan di bawah pedang. Kesian Emy kena jalan tertunduk-tunduk due to the rain. Sorry, angle is a bit off to capture the ceremonial event. Camera kena jaga takut basah-:)

Followed thereafter is the bersanding ceremony, also penuh dengan adat-istiadat tentera diraja Malaysia. The sword-bearers lined up besides the pelamin, making way for the selected individuals to menepung-tawar. Later, each of the sword-bearers "keluar baris" by giving "tabik spring" to the groom. Moi, still jaws dropping...


After bersanding, the couple went straight ahead to makan beradat. Nothing unusual here. I thought I can shut my mouth this time. But the food on meja pengantin looked yummylicious..my saliva was drooling. Thanks to Ayeem, our resident chef brought all the way from K@r@mbunai, Sabah…hehehe…He’s my hubby’s cousin.

Selesai bersantap, kedua mempelai dibawa ke hadapan 3-tier wedding cake for cake-cutting ceremony, accompanied by the sword-bearers and the bag pipers. They cut the cake berbumbungkan pedang yang sungguh tajam dan berkilat. Hati terpana melihat adat-istiadat tentera diraja ini…

Cake cutting ceremony. This amateur camera woman could not find a better angle to capture the moment. Giving way to the hired professional cameraman...

Later, it’s time for the bride and groom to bid farewell to bride’s family (by the way, the bride's father is also an army…Brigidier General to be exact) and the army troops. There onwards, the situation are more informal. My BIL was back to his normal cheeky self (kalau tak tadi serious je since dia kena berdepan dengan his army collegues, with all the formalities…I've never seen him seserious and setegas itu sebelum ini..). Both bride and groom, later confidently, entertained the guests by singing the song “Sandarkan Pada Kenangan”, later followed by another two songs – “My Heart” and “Tiga Malam”. Really sporting, I tell you. My BIL, as usual lah, very the confident one…And my biras i.e. his wife, suara ada umphh!…


Hubby pun taknak ketinggalan jugak. Dia pun sama menyumbangkan suara. 3 lagu lagi! Of course, his junior was with him all the time, looking impress that Ayah can sing…*LOL*.

I’m glad that the event went out well, despite the heavy rain (nasib baik air tak naik). So now, I got the chance to have my own nephew/niece now that adik ipar is happily married. Kalau tak, I’m the only orang harapan to produce cucu to both sides of the family. It's time for me to get some rest-:)

The whole hubby's family wearing red. Unfortunately, we could not snap photo together as we are busy (esp hubby and mak pontian) entertaining guests.

Hubby

Me and Ashraff

Aliff, slept comfortably in the buaian (cradle net?)

Mak Pontian and hubby's youngest sister (the only one left unmarried in the family)

4 comments:

Cherry said...

keluarga merah menyambut pengantin berbaju putih. matching colour ! macam bendera indonesia. when are you going to call me ?

Shue said...

Hello Ija,
Nice to have finally met you, that day when u drop by ur hubby's office. so cute la Ashraff & Aliff!

Anonymous said...

I have seen twice and recently was my cousins wedding. Memang meriah...

famyGirl said...

sungguh meriah!!
i attended a wedding once (my super-senior in college) where they had similar "jalan bawah pedang" ceremonies. it was impressive to watch.